[Snort-devel] [Snort-users] Interested in developing a preprocessor; want all the documentation I can get.

Wed Aug 14 14:52:18 EDT 2013

Hi Tony,

I have a setup that does pretty much this.  Here's what I do:

One server captures all packets from my network taps, and using prads, builds the hosts_attribute table and sends that on a schedule over to my snort boxes.  Pretty simple.

The problem I have is that I've been running this for so long, that I have a huge hosts attribute file, over 10000 hosts which is the limit.  Does anyone know, is there a configuration to increase this limit?

It would be an interesting patch to have prads track how long it's been since it's seen a host and automatically prune it from the file if it's been over a certain threshold.

From: Tony Robinson [mailto:deusexmachina667 at ...2499...]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 4:27 PM
To: Joel Esler
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] [Snort-devel] Interested in developing a preprocessor; want all the documentation I can get.

appreciate all the feedback. apologies for the delay sleeping, work, etc. you get the idea.
I was thinking DAQ is where I would want to look as well, but I was under the impression that DAQ essentially takes the place of libpcap -- you're using DAQ to grab the raw traffic off the wire before passing it to snort for "cleanup" and other purposes. I don't know if this assertion is correct or not -- I mean, is daq used to pass reassembled traffic between preprocessors?

 I'm not a dev either, just another infosec enthusiast and I just thought that this would be something awesome since snort is really good at reassembling traffic and prads/p0f could totally take advantage of reassembled streams for service and OS detection. This in turn can create a feedback loop for building reassembly policies and (eventually) be used to make suggestions for rules to enable/disable via pulled pork or another rule management tool.