[Snort-devel] Need help !!! Dynamic concatenation of IP/ MAC address for arpspoof

Mohamed Makthum makthum at ...2499...
Thu Apr 18 21:57:48 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

                                 I am a graduate student and I am quite
interested in IDS system. I want to do my Masters project on IDS. After
considerable amount of googling and study I learned about snort and it
working mechanism. Currently for arpspoof preprocessor we have to provide
the static IP/Mac address mapping for it work . I was thinking of
implementation(script) where IP / Mac address table can be retrieved and
updated in snort.conf.

My questions

1)      Is there such an implementation or script available today ?

2)      If not is such an implementation even possible to retrieve the ip /
Mac mapping from DHCP server ?

3)      If implemented will it be useful ?

I need help and suggestion from all you guyz and sorry if you find these
novice question.

I am just a beginner and but I like to learn . Thanks for your time and