[Snort-devel] HTTP Reassembly issue PAF enabled

Russ Combs rcombs at ...402...
Mon Apr 8 13:33:28 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Parmendra Pratap
<parmendra.pratap at ...398...> wrote:
> Instead of --daq dump --daq-var load-mode=read-file , I used --daq dump
> --daq-var load-mode=passive, as load_mode=read_file was not starting and
> looking for a file path.

Maybe just a typo, but that should be "load-mode=read-file" ( '-' not '_' ).

> I can see its functionally working for sure as far as TCP headers and HTTP
> PDU reassembly is concerned.
>
> There are couple of issues though - it creates a dump file, namely
> inline-pcap.out file which keeps growing until I run out of disk space.
> Isn't there a way to turn tcp normalization ON on without needing to dump
> pcap to file system.
> Performance seems to be OK but would defeinitely be desirable from my end to
> be able to do TCP normalization without needing to dump to the filesystem.
>
> Is there a reason behind deactivating TCP Normalization in IDS mode?

Yes - normalizations require inline operation.  No point changing a
packet if isn't being forwarded.  Also, stream5 tries to reassemble
the way the receiving host does.  This won't be the case if not
inline.

You can try something like --daq-var file=/dev/null if you don't want
to write the file.