[Snort-devel] understand snort code--Where to start ?

Russ Combs rcombs at ...402...
Fri Jul 27 13:43:49 EDT 2012

The code changes frequently and I'm not aware of any better way to
understand it than to read the user guide, run it, and then when you
understand what is going on, compile with debug and step through it by
adding --enable-debug --enable-debug-msgs to your configure options.  You
can export SNORT_DEBUG and SNORT_PP_DEBUG to turn on debug output for
various modules (check src/snort_debug.h).

Have fun.
Russ