[Snort-devel] Manual updates

Bryan A. Jones bjones at ...3297...
Wed Jul 11 22:25:54 EDT 2012

Russ,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait on further edits until this makes it
into a release.

Is there any interest in converting the manual from Latex to reST/Sphinx?
This would make the readme.* files a part of the generated PDF manual, plus
also produce HTML.

Bryan

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Russ Combs <rcombs at ...402...> wrote:

> Thanks.  See inline ...
>
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Bryan A. Jones <bjones at ...3297...>wrote:
>
>> Joel and Josh,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick feedback. Here's what I've got thus far. I can
>> supply further edits as I read and work through it more; would you first
>> review what I've done to let me know if this is helpful?
>>

> Yes - very helpful.  I've opened a bug and attached your patch.  We will
> review and incorporate appropriate changes in a future release.
>

>> Also, are the readme.* files in doc/ auto-generated from the manual, or
>> must be them hand-edited?
>>

> Unfortunately, at this point, hand-edited.  Now, if you have the time to
> generate all the docs and web pages from a single set of source files,
> using say, asciidoc, ... ;)
>

>> Bryan
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Joel Esler <jesler at ...402...>wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 22, 2012, at 1:22 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba at ...2185...> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 06/22/2012 12:20 PM, Bryan A. Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I'm coming up to speed on Snort by reading and editing the manual. Is
>>> anyone interested in changes applied to docs/snort_manual.tex, v. 2.9.3
>>> beta (when I downloaded it)? If so, should I sent the whole file, a
>>> diff, ?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Bryan
>>>

>>> Sending a diff is best, in unified format (I use -Naurp to diff).  That
>>> is
>>> how I have sent in proposed changes to the manual.
>>>

>>> Joshua is correct.  Please diff your proposed changes and send them here
>>> to the snort-devel list.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joel Esler
>>> Senior Research Engineer, VRT
>>> OpenSource Community Manager
>>> Sourcefire

>>> Please visit http://blog.snort.org for the latest news about Snort!
>>>

>> --
>> Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
>> Associate Professor
>> Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
>> 231 Simrall / PO Box 9571
>> Mississippi State University
>> Mississippi state, MS 39762
>> http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~bjones
>> bjones AT ece DOT msstate DOT edu
>> voice 662-325-3149
>> fax 662-325-2298
>>
>> Our Master, Jesus Christ, is on his way. He'll show up right on
>> time, his arrival guaranteed by the Blessed and Undisputed Ruler,
>> High King, High God.
>> - 1 Tim. 6:14b-15 (The Message)

Bryan A. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Professor