[Snort-devel] Fast-pattern matcher does not honor ignore_data in the SMTP Preprocessor

Joshua Kinard kumba at ...2185...
Tue Feb 21 20:22:50 EST 2012

On 11/28/2011 08:24, Joel Esler wrote:

> This has been entered into the system as well, just FYI.  It's been a crazy week around here with trying to get 2.9.2 out and the Holiday.
>
> Joel
>
> On Nov 20, 2011, at 9:05 PM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
>

>> Hi snort-devel,
>>
>> I discovered a bug between the SMTP preprocessor and the fast_pattern
>> matcher when 'ignore_data' is turned on.  The issue stems from using a a
>> rule that has only a single content match with a pattern found only in the
>> e-mail body.  It seems that the fast-pattern matcher will find this pattern
>> in the overall packet and flag an event before the SMTP preprocessor has a
>> chance to fully normalize/decode the packet and apply the 'ignore_data' option.
>>
>> I've attached an SMTP example session from twin Postfix MTAs running on a
>> Linux VM (over IANA reserved IPs on loopback, all local).  The sender is
>> "jack" from host "formenos.aman.arda" to "jill" at "tirion.aman.arda" (props
>> to anyone who gets the references).  The message body uses text generated
>> from the great Lorem Ipsum generator.  The file attachment is 768K of
>> /dev/urandom data to simulate a bog-standard SMTP session of message + MIME
>> attachment.
>>
>> This is my sample SMTP Preprocessor config on snort-2.9.2.  Assume I have
>> the other preprocessors set to sane defaults:
>>
>> preprocessor smtp:                  \
>>        normalize all               \
>>        inspection_type stateful    \
>>        ports { 25 587 }            \
>>        ignore_data                 \
>>        ignore_tls_data             \
>>        no_alerts                   \
>>        b64_decode_depth 0          \
>>        max_mime_mem 2097152
>>

>> Given the above, this rule below WILL alert on the specified pattern (found
>> in the third Lorem Ipsum paragraph, last sentence), regardless of the
>> 'ignore_data' directive:
>>
>> alert tcp any any -> any 25 (                    \
>>        msg:"Lorem Ipsum?";                      \
>>        flow:established,to_server;              \
>>        content:"sollicitudin"; nocase;          \
>>        sid:42000009; rev:1; priority:1;         \
>>        classtype:bad-unknown;                   \
>> )
>>
>> This is because the fast-pattern matcher finds "sollicitudin" in the
>> unreassembled packets.  I believe the SMTP preprocessor has some done kind
>> of processing by this point (I stepped through the code using gdb/ddd, and
>> the alert happens after the 8th TCP packet), but I guess a check somewhere
>> misses or fast-pattern simply doesn't handle the 'ignore_data' directive
>> properly.
>>

>> A workaround I found was to short-circuit the fast-pattern matcher with a
>> content match you ALWAYS expect to be in an SMTP packet, like "Received:":
>>
>> alert tcp any any -> any 25 (                    \
>>        msg:"Lorem Ipsum?";                      \
>>        flow:established,to_server;              \
>>        content:"Received|3a|"; fast_pattern;    \
>>        content:"sollicitudin"; nocase;          \
> [...]

Curious to know if there's been any updates on this bug.  Is this slated to
be fixed in 2.9.3?  Or has any further thought been given to crating
'smtp_header' and 'smtp_body' rule options to better control the
fast-pattern matcher?

I've looked at the code in the SMTP preprocessor and isolated the specific
checks that indicate why fast-pattern doesn't honor ignore_data.  I suspect
that, basing off of the new modbus_data and dnp3_data options, replacing the
bits for ignore_data with instructions to copy the SMTP header to one decode
buffer and the body to another for use within in a rule might not be too
much of an issue if I get some free time.  Any tips on other code points to
look at (outside of adding the actual rule option hooks and such)?

Example -- we avoid the fast-pattern bug and positional checks:
alert tcp any any -> any 25 (msg:"Spam E-mail from Bob";
flow:established,to_server; smtp_header; content:"From|3a 20|Bob Bob
<bob at ...3259...>"; smtp_body;
content:"http|3a|//clicktracker.bob.com/spam?id="; sid:xxxxxxxx; rev:1;
classtype:policy-violation; )

Arguably, having these two options would make the SMTP Preprocessor far more
useful.  They would move the doe_ptr, so they would go before a content, not
after.  Even better would be creating buffers for From, To, and Subject,
then dump the rest of the header into the smtp_header buffer.

Thanks!

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic