[Snort-devel] Snort 2.9.4 Now Available

Joel Esler jesler at ...402...
Tue Dec 4 10:12:51 EST 2012

I don't remember declaring 2.9.4 was a major change, but, that's okay, be that as it may, we do have some cool things in the works, but unfortunately that's all I can say about it right now.

Inline below:

On Dec 3, 2012, at 11:24 PM, Amm Snort <ammdispose-snort at ...398...> wrote:

> Just a query. Few months back it was declared in list about major changes coming in 2.9.4.
>
> And it was also mentioned that it will be declared soon.
>
> However looking changelog, I am not sure if it is so.
>
> So I just wanted to know, for upgrade from 2.9.3 to 2.9.4:
> 1) Is there much change in snort.conf (or any config file) that I have to consider?

No.  I'll post the 2.9.4.0 config file to our site:
http://www.snort.org/vrt/snort-conf-configurations/
today.  I don't think there are any changes in it.

> 2) Is unified log still compatible with current barnyard2 and BASE?

Yes, the unified2 method of logging is going anywhere.

> 3) Is upgrade process documented anywhere? If so, please share the link.

It all depends on how you installed it.  I'd suggest uninstalling the old version and then installing the new version (instead of trying to install over the old).  But if you are subscribed to the Snort-users list, that's the best place to ask questions about upgrading and installation.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT