[Snort-devel] Query about the performance

Steven Sturges ssturges at ...402...
Wed Jun 8 11:28:52 EDT 2011

I'm not entirely sure of what you are trying to do, so it is tough
to answer specifically.

The capture rate is affected by a number of factors -- speed of
the hardware, drivers, kernel, DAQ module being used, etc.

Beyond the above, the performance of Snort itself is also affected
by the number of rules, memory settings, etc.

Snort is definitely capable of looking at packets in the context of
other packets in the flow leveraging Stream and/or flowbits.