[Snort-devel] "stuck at RHEL5"?

Crusty Saint saintcrusty at ...2499...
Mon Jan 24 04:31:02 EST 2011

@JP

I totally do NOT get 70% of what you're complaining about.

Without any prior snort knowledge i got it to run 100% on a Centos EL5
installation. RTFM first, everything you need is in there. Based on the docs
it is quite easy to build a script that automatically gathers your
dependencies for building from source, though admittedly this is something
sourcefire could have done themselves.

There are offered external repo's that do supply libpcap and many but not
all required libs. Not satisfied with these because they don't offer the
same warranty RH/CO do offer ? Then don't use RH-based distro's, the base
support for libs on this platform is plain poor. I never get why people
bother to even offer rpm's and they do require quite a load of extra work to
support them. Debian-based distro's deliver a much wider supported base from
a single repo, as this distro is alive and not beaten flat by corporate
interest and focus.

No offence, but i've had the same objections and found only it took about 4
hours to resolve most of it once and for all. It is also possible to build
snort in /opt and use it's own separate directory of libs under /opt