[Snort-devel] [Snort-sigs] Snort.org Blog: Google Groups are alive!

Joel Esler jesler at ...402...
Wed Feb 9 15:21:16 EST 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 3:14 PM, evilghost at ...3122... wrote:
> On 02/09/11 13:58, Joel Esler wrote:
>> I'd like to hear feedback on the groups.
>
> More fragmentation for sources of information.  We have blogs, Google groups,
> mailing lists, stagnated forums, stand-alone personal websites, handler
> comments on ISC, outdated Sourceforge project pages, and more.
>
> Fragmentation is bad and IMHO this just promotes it.  I think this is a step in
> the wrong direction unless you're going to cull all these fragmented sources
> into some type of cohesive portal.

That's the goal, to stop the fragmentation.  I HATE fragmentation, and there is even more fragmentation in the community than what you mention above, and I am trying to stop that too.

At some point in 2011, if we merge the mailing lists and the forums, you'll have:

Google Groups,
The documentation,
and the official blog.

I can't handle what other people do (personal websites, ISC, etc), but as far as the information coming out of Sourcefire, there will be pretty much two methods of getting it.  The Blog, or the "group".

If there are updates to the Snort site, (new docs, etc) I'll post about it on the blog.
Discussions are left to the "groups".

There is one other point of discussion that I haven't brought up, but have heard a lot of interest from the community, is to get rid of our "FAQ" that we maintain, and replace it with a Wiki.  But I haven't started planning that yet.

--
Joel Esler
jesler at ...402...