[Snort-devel] SourceFire Appliance 3D9900 capabilities

d a xstoneheartx at ...398...
Thu Apr 14 07:40:04 EDT 2011

Dose anybody know, how many enabled rules are supported with SourceFire
Appliance 3D9900 on 10 gbps traffic rate?

________________________________
From: Martin Holste <mcholste at ...2499...>
To: d a <xstoneheartx at ...398...>
Cc: Nigel Houghton <nhoughton at ...402...>; snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Sat, April 9, 2011 8:30:13 AM
Subject: Re: [Snort-devel] using snort for 10Gbps traffic rate

My rule of thumb thus far has been that on commodity hardware with
PF_RING, you can run 1000 signatures per 500 Mb/sec of traffic per
Snort instance before you start dropping packets.  You want to run
20x500, so I would think that a single Snort instance could run 50
signatures at 10 gig.  However, you're definitely going to need
PF_RING or TNAPI and a recent network card, or better yet a 10 gig
Endace DAG card to process packet headers at 10 gig.  Also,
preprocessors will take a heavy toll; I cannot vouch for a Snort
process running even zero rules with all preprocessors turned on to
perform at 10 gig with no drops.  If anyone on the list has
successfully run a single Snort instance against a full 10 gig
line-speed of real-world traffic, I'd like to hear it.  Many run at
the 1-3 Gb/sec range, but few run at full 10 gig line-speed.

Something to consider: the PF_RING DAQ module allows multiple Snort
processes to load balance the traffic so that you can have a cluster
of Snort instances on a single machine.  DAG cards allow a similar
load-balancing to occur.