[Snort-devel] [SNORT-devel] Snort with anomaly detection

Nguyen Kien kiennguyen1101 at ...2499...
Mon Apr 11 10:35:11 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a research on using Artificial Immune System
(AIS) approach to intrusion detection with  Negative Selection Algorithm
(NSA). The algorithm by Forrest et al [1] is as follow:
1, Define self-profile.
2, Generate random candidate detectors
3, Match candidate detectors with self-data. If match-> discarded;
otherwise it is added to detector set. The detector set is used to
detect anomalous traffics.

I'm trying to port the algorithm into Snort, using a custom preprocessor
(is it better to use dynamic preprocessor?). The self-data is collected
from the IP packet headers and stored in the database to generate the
detector set. I'm planning to use the DARPA data set for the self-data.
I've written a helloworld preprocessor to collect header data from the
DARPA data set. However, I'm having a few technical problems that i
would like to ask.
- Where should i put my code to generate the detector set in Snort
preprocessor? At the exit function after data collect in helloworld
preprocessor? At the initialize of a new preprocessor?
- Is it ok to check each packet against around 100 detectors? Does it
destroy the performance of Snort?

Best Regards.

1. S. Forrest, A. Perelson, et al. Self Nonself Discrimination in a
Computer, 1994.