[Snort-devel] rules management tools

Martin Holste mcholste at ...2499...
Fri Apr 1 14:35:28 EDT 2011

MVC web GUI I think is a given.  What are the core features that the
community needs?  My rough draft:
 - All of the features PulledPork gives us (auto flowbit inclusion,
disable/enable, replace, etc.)
 - Per-sensor configuration variable management (if not already
implied by the above)
 - Search by msg, content, etc.
 - Interface to tag rules
 - Snort-parsable output so that sensors grab their rules from the
central web GUI like http://rules/compile_rules?sensor_id=1
 - Resolve and download all references to a local cache so when you
search, you also search the content of the references (so when I want
to find a rule that hunts Conficker, I find it even if it's not in the
rule name)

Those should all be trivial to implement.  Here are some tougher ones:
 - Rule similarity detector (maybe some sort of Levenshtein distance
calculation with other content matches)
 - Load calculator given a static "test" pcap derived from local
traffic at a point in time
 - Offline alerter (similar to above, but instead of load calculation
on a constant pcap, takes a pcap upload, runs it against arbitrary
rules, returns alerts generated)