[Snort-devel] Issues with the Snort Manual (Patch)

Joshua.Kinard at ...3108... Joshua.Kinard at ...3108...
Mon Nov 29 18:23:53 EST 2010

Thanks for this.  Will the developers be able to provide
guidance/comments on the following items addressed in the documentation
patch?:

- asn1: Are absolute_offset and relative_offset mutually exclusive?

- asn1: What is the purpose or function of the 'print' parameter?

- byte_extract: Is 'offset' supposed to be able to hold a variable name
extracted from a previous byte_extract keyword?

- session: What is the purpose or function of the 'binary' parameter?

- General: Is a space after a colon in a Snort rule option the preferred
format, or is no space preferred?  Snort parses either-or, but as I
mentioned, the main SourceFire product has choked on instances of these
(specifically, importing a text file with a rule whose "sid" parameter
contains such a space).

- General: Are spaces between parameters in a rule option also the
preferred format, or are no spaces preferred?  Similar to the last
question.  I haven't noticed SourceFire mistreating options formatted as
such, but the possibility probably exists.

I had an additional thought over the weekend, that is not addressed in
the manual nor reflected in my patch.  The manual states that HTTP
content modifiers for pcre (U, I, P, H, D, M, C, K, S, & Y) cannot be
used in combination with the 'R' relative modifier (or 'B' rawbytes).
Content, however, disallows use of the 'rawbytes' option with the HTTP
modifiers, but speaks nothing of the two relative modifiers, 'distance'
or 'within'.

Is a rule written as such valid?:
alert tcp $HOME_NET 1024: -> $EXTERNAL_NET 80 (msg:"Bad HTTP URI
/foobar"; flow:established,to_server; content:"GET"; http_method;
content:"/foobar"; http_uri; distance:0; sid:42000001; rev:1; gid:1;
priority:2;)

Since the http_* modifiers affect where the two content matches look, is
"distance:0;" applicable on the second content to force the match to
continue directly after the end of the first?  This wouldn't be valid in
a pcre option (i.e., content:"GET"; http_method; pcre:"/\/foobar/RU";).
What about when using the http_raw_* modifiers with 'distance' and
'within'?

Lastly, are 'distance' and 'within' valid on the 'uricontent' option?
This has never been clearly addressed it seems and has a history of
confusing people.  It also ties in with the previous question, since
uricontent can be rendered as a content/http_uri pair.  Granted, both of
these questions are more suitable for discussion on snort-users, but
since I'm looking at further modifying the documentation if I can get
some concrete explanation on them, I'm inquiring here instead.

Thanks!,

--J