[Snort-devel] Snort 2.8.5 Beta Now Available

Todd Wease twease at ...402...
Thu May 14 11:59:18 EDT 2009

Thanks for the report rmkml.  Snort is crashing because the function
that parses the within keyword is not checking for NULL arguments and
then dereferencing a NULL pointer.  As long as you supply a value to the
within keyword this shouldn't happen.  We'll open a bug for this since
Snort shouldn't segfault but fail gracefully.  The reason 2.8.4 doesn't
segfault is because and empty string was being passed in instead of NULL
and the code wasn't checking the argument for no value and the within
was being set to 0 via a strtol call which we probably should have been
checking start_ptr == end_ptr and fail since no digits were actually
converted.