[Snort-devel] Information on DETECTION_OPTION_TREE and OTN vs ds_list

Steven Sturges steve.sturges at ...402...
Fri Mar 6 10:00:37 EST 2009

Hi Daniel--

The DETECTION_OPTION_TREE is controlled via a build-time
configuration (configure --enable or --disable...) that
was added in  Snort 2.8.2 (released in 2008).

It is on by default, and with it on, Snort uses a new, faster
algorithm when evaluating rules.  It is hardened -- no longer
configurable -- in 2.8.4 (RC was posted in Feb 2009).

The option checks for rules are now done via a tree, where
similar rules are evaluated together.

ds_list only really allowed a single option of a given type,
which was followed by the OTN chains.  The new code extends
the OTN chain approach by only evaluating the options once
for rules that have a similar base set of options.

Some of the ds_list related code still exists, but is largely
just for data storage, versus actual rule evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
-steve