[Snort-devel] ide for snortsp 3.0

Martin Roesch roesch at ...402...
Wed Jan 14 14:38:17 EST 2009

Hi Prashanth,

You want an IDE for debugging?  Are you looking to debug data structures and
links or something else?  I used to use ddd pretty heavily back in the old
days of Snort 1.x to visualize the detection engine data structures at
runtime but that's just a GUI around gdb.

As for what I use these days, when I'm on Linux I generally use vim and just
gdb at the command line.  I have used Visual Slickedit in the past and liked
it a lot but it's generally only on my one dev system, vim is everywhere. :)

I do most of my developmemt on a Mac these days.  On the Mac I usually use
Xcode and sometimes use TextMate.  I still use vim for quick stuff when I'm
at the command line but for complex work I use Xcode (which has a gdb GUI
built-in).

Marty