[Snort-devel] version numbers needed for preprocessors / libsf_engine?

Markus Lude markus.lude at ...578...
Tue Dec 29 15:56:26 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 03:18:38PM -0500, Steven Sturges wrote:
> Hi Markus--

Hello Steven,

> Are you talking about the version number on the .so itself,
> or the version/build numbers that are internal to the code?

I'm talking about the "version" in the filename.

> The internal version numbers were intended to help in handling
> compatibility problems, but it is best to replace both the
> shared libs and Snort together.
>
> Generally, when I build/install the .so's, the plain .so actually
> gets symlink'd to a similarly named file that has a version.

On OpenBSD we don't have those symlinks.

My problem at the moment is the following:

So far I used

  dynamicengine /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so

in snort.conf, even when the file actually was for example
libsf_engine.so.3.0. With the changes in 2.8.5 regarding looking after
the libs I now either need to add the correct version number to the
configuration line or change it to

  dynamicengine directory /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/

If I simply drop the version number from the file name my old settings
could still be used and one don't need to adjust the version number with
every update.

As I'm not that familiar I'm unsure if one could simply add
"-avoid-version" e.g. to libsf_engine_la_LDFLAGS in case of sf_engine or
libsf_ftptelnet_preproc_la_LDFLAGS in case of the ftptelnet
preprocessor in the Makefiles.

Hmm, another thing: I didn't find the place for doing the above for the
two example libs or where best to disable the build of them. I think
those aren't really needed in a package. Or am I wrong here?

Regards,
Markus