[Snort-devel] config pidpath directive no longer valid?

Lee Clemens snort at ...2953...
Sun Mar 16 13:59:24 EDT 2008

I have used --pid-path <mypidpath> as a command-line option, where
<mypidpath> is a directory in which to write the pid file.

However, I receive the following errors during start():

Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: Initializing daemon mode
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: Parent waiting for child...
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: WARNING: /<mypidpath>/snort_eth0.pid is
invalid, trying /var/run...
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: PID path stat checked out ok, PID path set to
/var/run/
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: Writing PID "4609" to file
"/var/run//snort_eth0.pid"
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: Signaling parent 4607 from child 4609
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: Daemon initialized, signaled parent pid: 4607
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: Received Signal from Child
Mar 16 13:53:30 myhost snort: Daemon parent exiting

I have confirmed <mypidpath> is an absolute path, and root has rwx
permission on the entire tree, so I'm not sure why snort thinks it is
invalid.

--Lee