[Snort-devel] accelerating Snort with GPU

Mariusz Ziulek mz.mzet at ...2499...
Wed Jun 11 06:23:12 EDT 2008

Hello,

Today's GPUs (Graphics Processing Units) installed on NVIDIA's graphic cards
are incredible fast peace of hardware.

I think that Snort could take an advantage of this speed. There's an
excellent book "GPU Gems 3" from which chapter 35 (which I've recently
read), titled "Fast Virus Signature Matching on the GPU" by Elizabeth
Seamans from Juniper Networks and Thomas Alexander from Polytime is
especially interesting for security community. Authors describe there
experimental support for GPU in ClamAV antivirus. Now, when  NVIDIA
introduced their CUDA technology (
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html) accelerrating signature
matching (in ClamAV and Snort) should be simpler and more effective.

What do you guys think about that? I don't know Snort internals, but do you
think that it would be possible to implement signature matching using CUDA?

Regards,
Mariusz Ziułek
www.virtualworldslab.com