[Snort-devel] Using example dynamic-rule plug-ins?

c0uchw4rrior c0uchw4rrior at ...2499...
Wed Oct 10 13:28:49 EDT 2007

Hey folks,

I have a some questions about the dynamic-rule stuff under
src/dynamic-examples/dynamic
-rule.  I am working off the recent snort-2.8.0 source tarball.

I've successfully run `./configure --enable-dynamicplugin` from the
snort-2.8.0 directory. I then went into the src/dynamic-examples directory
and ran make. make ran to completion with no errors.

After running make I am left with a number of object files under
src/dynamic-examples/dynamic-rule:

rules.lo  sfsnort_dynamic_detection_lib.lo  sid109.lo  sid637.lo
rules.o   sfsnort_dynamic_detection_lib.o   sid109.o   sid637.o

I've copied all the .o and .lo files to /usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule,
but I suspect I need to compile these somehow into shared object .so files

My Snort command-line is `snort -T -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
--dynamic-detection-lib-dir=/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule`

The output shows that the dynamic rules were not found by Snort:
Warning: No dynamic libraries found in directory
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicrule!

The other dynamic components are being found and successfully loaded. Snort
successfully completes its test run and exits.

What am I missing? Do I need to turn the .lo and/or .o files into .so files?
How? Is their a Makefile target for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!,
c0uch