[Snort-devel] Call for Stream5 Testers

Justin Heath justin.heath at ...2499...
Mon Jan 22 20:57:38 EST 2007

In addition to Steve's comments I would like to add the following.

Beta 1 binaries for FC6, RHEL4 and Win32 are available at the
following location:

http://www.snort.org/dl/prerelease/

When sending in a bug report please include the following files
(tar.bz2 for *nix and zip format for win32 is preferred)

config.log (if you built from source)
snort.conf
rules
pcap (applicable for runtime bugs, please set snaplen to 0 when capturing)
core file (if Snort segfaults)

Here are a couple of tips when running Beta 1.

Make sure the number of alerts correspond with your environment.
Run the stable version of Snort (2.6.1.2) side by side for comparison.
Keep any eye on CPU and memory statistics.

Remember, Snort's behaviour can be very specific to your environment.
So, now is the time to make sure Snort works for you. With big changes
like Stream5 any amount of testing can be helpful, if you can only
fire up the beta for an hour in your environment that can still be
useful. With tarballs and binaries available this should be in reach
for most everyone at any skill level.

Cheers,
Justin Heath