[Snort-devel] [Sguil-users] Barnyard problem

Eric Lauzon eric.lauzon at ...1967...
Wed Jan 17 13:24:36 EST 2007

Greetings,

The initial issue is mainly due to the fact that original
unified output modes where writing sequentialy to the file
thus if in anyway snort was stoped intentinaly or unintentionaly
while writing one of the data chunks, i would create a corrupted file.

This issue has been partialy fixed in a patch that i submitted a while
ago
but my patch didin't cover the last unified output mode.

Thus i might re-submit a more rescent patch that completly fix this
issue
for all unified output mode.

As preventing that issue [unified log writing race condition] you
can turn down the interface on wich snort is listening [ifconfig
<inameN> down],
resulting in pcap_loop() or pcap_dispatch() call to fail thus ensuring
that snort is currently
now writing to the unified file.

I shall send the new patch today for snort 2.6.1N serie to snort-devel
list.

I hope it might help.

-elz