[Snort-devel] Snort 2.4.3 perfmonitor not finishing log entries properly

Dirk Geschke Dirk_Geschke at ...802...
Mon Mar 13 00:43:02 EST 2006

Hi Steven,

> Yes, that would make better sense... We've seen folks who
> prefer exit cleanly in production enviroments.

hmm, I think we are talking about a beta version? At least
with a beta version it should write core dumps. Or how do
you intend to find and fix SIGSEGV bugs?

> Might be worth moving that Sig Handler inside an #ifndef DEBUG,
> so that when you compile with debug turned on, you'd get the
> core file.  Without related info (that is stripped or optimized
> away when non-debug), core files are pretty tough to make
> useful anyway.  ;)

I would suggest to remove the SIGSEGV handler during the beta
stadium. In a production environment one should think of an
optional clean exit or core dump. But for a testing version
you will have more benefit from a core dump.

Or how will you find the memory problems if someone reports
a catched SIGSEGV message? Then you have to find a way how
to reproduce the SIGSEGV in order to fix the problem. I guess
this can get highly complicated...

Best regards

Dirk