[Snort-devel] Snort ClamAV Plugin

Victor Julien victor at ...2603...
Sat Jul 29 12:20:06 EDT 2006

Rajkumar S. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At Bleeding edge, there is a Snort ClamAV plugin, which is pretty
> impressive, but what happens if the virus signatures fall across 2
> packets? Is there any machinism that is available in the frame work
> which I can use to queue up the packets in a queue so that signatures
> across packets can also be caught?

Yes, if you enable stream4+stream4_reassemble and put the clamav config
underneath that config, clamav will scan the reassembled stream as well.

> In the flow plugin docs it says "many of the stateful subsystems of
> Snort will be migrated over to becoming flow plugins." but there are
> not much docs about using flow plugin from the pov of a preprocessor
> author. Can I use flow to get last n packets seen in a particular
> connection?

I don't think so, not sure though.

> Also is it possible to call some post detection rule actions from
> preprocessor. To be more precise, is it possible to call flexresp from
> clamav preprocessor so that I can close the connection if a virus is
> detected?

ClamAV implements the reset response, but i think it only works when
running in inline mode... it's not possible to use the flexresp2 actions
for that.

Regards,
Victor