[Snort-devel] http_gunzip preprocessor

Gulfie gulfie at ...2843...
Tue Jan 3 13:15:08 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 02:06:06PM -0500, Marc Norton wrote:

> Chris Sherwin of the Sourcefire-Snort Team is currently working on a
> pretty significant upgrade to http inspect.  We're interested in talking
> about what specifically your looking for from this feature to build out
> the feature definition and requirements to make a detemination of wether
> we think we should implement it.

	WMF can travel over more than http or gziped http.  pop/imap/smtp being
a few good vectors.  Is the plan to let libclamav catch these?

> This is a pretty cpu intensive task so
> we'd have to figure out how it helps amd whom it helps.  Many situations
> with high bandwidth networks could not even turn this on, so we have to
> examine all of the issues.  Is there a dfifference in need between
> inline and pure ids mode ?  Does it only make sense if we have hardware
> accelleration ?  etc...

	There will be a large difference between inline / passive.  When the
passive IDS starts droping packets, the state requirements will explode just
like when the flow table fills up.  This is the fault of droping
packets and divergent state, not any new processor.  Alerts cause many of
the same problems, yet we wouldn't want to not have alerts.

	Good luck to you and Chris on whatever path is choose.

						-gulfie