[Snort-devel] http_gunzip preprocessor

Marc Norton mnorton at ...402...
Tue Jan 3 11:05:01 EST 2006

Chris Sherwin of the Sourcefire-Snort Team is currently working on a
pretty significant upgrade to http inspect.  We're interested in talking
about what specifically your looking for from this feature to build out
the feature definition and requirements to make a detemination of wether
we think we should implement it.  This is a pretty cpu intensive task so
we'd have to figure out how it helps amd whom it helps.  Many situations
with high bandwidth networks could not even turn this on, so we have to
examine all of the issues.  Is there a dfifference in need between
inline and pure ids mode ?  Does it only make sense if we have hardware
accelleration ?  etc...

I know from a pure research or theoretical point of view it's a must
have, but snort is used in production environements under heavy load
these days so we just have to move carfully.   Of course none of this
prevents you from doing a preproc  to move ahead on your own.  ( We also
have to consider other http issues, http tunnelling protocols is a
pretty big deal as well for instance. )

So if you can better detail your requirements for this feature we might
be able to respond more intelligently.