[Snort-devel] Config Stateful Issue

Milani Paolo Paolo.Milani at ...866...
Wed Feb 15 00:20:02 EST 2006

Hi Joel,

I think your observations are correct, but your understanding of what the -z switch is supposed to do is not. From the snort manual (html version currently on snort.org):

"Stream4 introduces a new command line switch: -z. On TCP traffic, if the -z switch is specified, Snort will only alert on streams that have been established via a three way handshake or streams where cooperative bidirectional activity has been observed (i.e., where some traffic went one way and something other than a RST or FIN was seen going back to the originator)."

So yes, it will alert on streams where 3-way handshake did not happen, but only if packets were seen coming both ways. This should really be enough to protect against stick/snot DOS attacks, so I think config stateful serves it's intended purpose.

Paolo Milani

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
MailAdmin at ...2137... Thank you