[Snort-devel] Question about snort alerts

M Raju protocoljunkie at ...2499...
Wed May 11 10:14:39 EDT 2005

Hello..

Sounds like you want an IPS (which I am not a big fan off). There is
some ridiculous marketing going on in the industry regarding IPS as
the "Silver Bullet" for security...

If you want active response, search for snortsam,fwsnort,snort_inline,
etc...on google

Also before considering deploying an IPS in your network, you may want
to review  some material.

The recent article by Marty Roesch:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/09/19FEipsids_1.html

also the excellent book which focuses on concepts more than syntax
from Richard Bejtlich:

 http://www.taosecurity.com/books.html

Hope that helps..

Cheers.

_Raju

On 5/9/05, Geries Handal <stingddp99 at ...445...> wrote:

> Dear snort developers,
>
> I like to know if there is any way to read real time alerts from snort. The
> purpose is because i want to try to write a module that will response to
> some attacks in certain way... For example if i detect a portscan, or a
> worm, etc. i want to send a command to a firewall or cisco router and block
> the attack. I was thinking of using unsock option of snort, but i don't know
> if its the right way to go. Maybe you can help me giving me some
> documentation, tips, reference, etc, anything... I will really appreciate
> any help
>
> Thanks
> Geries Handal

May the packets be with you.