[Snort-devel] Site and license updates

Martin Roesch roesch at ...402...
Wed Mar 9 14:54:34 EST 2005

You squealed, we listened!

Ok guys, based on feedback from the community we have made a few
changes to the license and web site.

1. The feared audit provision has been replaced by the following:

License Compliance. You may be requested by Sourcefire to provide a
certificate, signed by your authorized representative, that you are
using the VRT Certified Rules consistent with a Permitted Use.  In the
event your use of the VRT Certified Rules is not in compliance with a
Permitted Use, or if you otherwise violate the terms of this Agreement,
Sourcefire may, since remedies at law may be inadequate, in addition to
its other remedies: (a) demand return of the VRT Certified Rules; (b)
forbid and enjoin your further use of the VRT Certified Rules; (c)
assess you a use fee appropriate to your actual use of the VRT
Certified Rules.

The revised license is now available at
http://www.snort.org/about_snort/licenses/vrt_license.html. All
Sourcefire VRT Certified Rulesets will be governed by this license
unless otherwise communicated by Sourcefire.

2. Oink Codes for Oinkmaster are now generated based on your username
and do not require an Internet IP address of the snort box. Previous
Oink Codes generated with an IP address will still work as expected.

3. The Rule Search functionality is currently being revised and will be
available this week.

I would like to thank everyone for being patient as we are rolling out
these new changes. If you have any other questions or concerns about
the licensing or web site, please let us know. As I have said before,
we continue to have the interest of the Snort community at heart so we
are always willing to listen and try to improve.

If anyone has any questions or comments please send mail to me or
snort-feedback at ...402... and we'll get back to you.

Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend. - http://www.sourcefire.com
Snort: Open Source Intrusion Detection and Prevention -
http://www.snort.org