[Snort-devel] maintainer-mode

Mark Deric laguna at ...2782...
Wed Jun 29 07:08:04 EDT 2005

I was just poking around with a freshly downloaded copy of v2.2.0 to
look at a tarball of code mods a friend of mine gave me based upon "a
CVS snapshot" he checked out around 8/16/04; he also sent me the
original source tarball of the CVS checkout.  I wanted to diff his
starting point with an "Official release".

I found that the v2.2.0 distribution contains automake built files,
Makefile.in's, configure, etc. and I wanted to get rid of them to make
it look more like the CVS co.

So, I added AM_MAINTAINER_MODE as the new line 8 of configure.in; ran
autojunk and then ran ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode.

I then ran make maintainer-clean, and, to my surprise the AM built files
were still there.  I expected them to be removed.

Was my expectation wrong?  Did I miss a step?  Or am I totally off base
and can somebody tell me the "right" way to remove the AM built files?

I'm fairly new to using the GNU auto suite; but I'm trying to use it
more in my own work; and obviously, SNORT is a good sample use case.

I'd appreciate any tips on this.

Regards,
Mark