[Snort-devel] Does snort free the memory upon a ctrl+C

Michael Loftis mloftis at ...2776...
Wed Jun 15 10:32:29 EDT 2005

--On June 15, 2005 1:18:42 PM -0400 Adayadil Thomas
<adayadil.thomas at ...2499...> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Upon receiving a ctrl+C or a seg fault, does snort free the memory
> that it had malloc-ed while storing session info and stream data ?

In the case of the SEGFAULT no.  Just like any other program it's already
dead at that point.  In the case of CTRL+C I think not either.  *HOWEVER*
as with any program under Unix-en the kernel will cleanup after the program
exits no matter what.  Windows even mostly does this, that's not to say
that any programmer should ever rely on this in a clean exit situation, but
if something untoward happens it cleans up.

This isn't really a ? for SNORT-DEVEL honestly...More like unix programming
basics.