[Snort-devel] Re: Snort-devel digest, Vol 1 #1544 - 1 msg

Alejandro Cabrera alex at ...2771...
Mon Jun 6 06:22:54 EDT 2005

Hi
I was debugging my plugin and not found any error. But I think that the
error is in another part. I share this info with you beacuse maybe you
cant help me.
That is independient of my plugin for this I think that my error are in
the configuration, but I do all like tell the docs.

1-) I create a ruletype like this:
ruletype exec
{
 type alert
 output alert_fast: snort.fast
}
It tell to snort that for the rule type exec, logged the alert, in
snort.fast  file in the  log directory.

2-) And change this rule ( swap alert by exec --> the new ruletype )

exec icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP Large ICMP
Packet"; dsize:>800; reference:arachnids,246; classtype:bad-unknown;
sid:499; rev:4;)

3-) I run the snort the like this:
snort -dev -c etc/snort.conf -l /snort/ -h 127.0.0.1/8

4-) Later I send to 127.0.0.1 a ICMP packet with size 1000 for that
snort detect the "ICMP Large ICMP Packet" --> the rule I changed before,
like this:
ping -c 1 -s 1000 127.0.0.1

Well in the resume, "he" tell me that "he" found 5 ALERT and LOGGED 5,
but when I see in the /snort/ not exist any file with the alerts.
I try to run the snort in the like this:

snort -dev -c etc/snort.conf -l /snort/ -h 127.0.0.1/8 -A fast

And "he" log in /snort/alerts 5 alerts, anything the "ICMP Large ICMP
Packet", he create the /snort/snort.fast but he don't write it anything
alert, the bye is in 0 bytes.
If I delete the exec ruletype and run the snort how before, he logged
into /snort/alerts the "ICMP Large ICMP Packet".
So I think that I did something wrong I was reading some docs about
snort config but I don't see any error. If you have any idea about this,
please help me,
thx vry mch
Alejandro
PD: Excuse me my bad english.