[Snort-devel] Session mixup by stream4

Fri Feb 11 04:23:10 EST 2005

Hi -

--On 08 February 2005 16:32 +0530 Sonali Gupta <sonali.gupta at ...2499...>
wrote:

> I have posted this query in the snort users mailing list also.
>
> I came across this post in the neohapsis archives, which discusses an
> issue similar to what I seem to be facing.
>
> It is at:
>
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2003-01/0858.html
>
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2003-01/0872.html
>
> The discussion talks about a session payload mixup in data captured by
> snort. I am also facing this issue in some sessions that I get from
> snort. I am using snort 2.0 and snort 2.3 ORC2, and found the issue in
> both versions.

I sometimes find alerts in my database that appear to be from mixed-up
packets. The giveaway is that both the IP and TCP checksums are incorrect
(ethereal reports that they are both 0x0000).

I'm using Snort 2.3.0 release + FLoP.

I'd send captures, but I've not found any pattern in what makes it happen.
:-/

Best Regards,
Alex.