[Snort-devel] Re: [Snort-users] Running SNORT in low end device

aravind babu aravindforsnort at ...2224...
Tue Dec 20 03:27:11 EST 2005

Hi all,

          Thanks for the replies.
  I am trying to put the SNORT-INLINE code and rule database in NAND flash.My NAND flash size is 32MB.
  I am using micro controller linux.So there is no question of swapping Terry.

  For Gulfie question :
  My processor is MIPS based and speed is 177MHz.Great to your memory power.

  How much memory is required to run Snort-inline ?

  Thanks in advance,
  Aravind.

Jason <security at ...1585...> wrote:  Try playing with these settings

use lowmem for pattern matcher
use small stream flush intervals
reduce stream memory
reduce frag memory
reduce flow memory
reduce flowbits
reduce flow depth for http_inspect
reassemble client only streams
turn off the bo preprocessor
turn off portscan
turn off a bunch of rules that you probably do not need

With such low memory usage you will likely hit a point of thrashing if
you try to handle anything more than a few systems using 1M of pipe but
it would work for a home system ok.