[Snort-devel] Snort and sflow

Fri Dec 2 03:40:14 EST 2005

Hi -

Has anyone looked into using Snort with sflow
<http://www.sflow.org>/RFC3176, as implemented on Foundry switches?

My take is that it wouldn't work for many of Snort's signatures, due to
Snort tracking both transport- and application protocol-state and sflow
only proving 1-in-n packet sampling. If it did 1-in-n /session/ sampling,
it would be useful.

Further, although many of Snort's rules are currently stateless, I think
that in time, it will be necessary to make more of them aware of
application layer protocol state in order to reduce the rate of false
positives.

I can see, though, that sFlow is useful for traffic analysis NIDS, such as
that provided by SPADE or commercial alternatives such as Lancope's
Stealthwatch product.

Discuss. :-)

Best Regards,
Alex.