[Snort-devel] Detecting TCP Timestamp PAWS DoS from tracefile

J.Smith lbalbalba at ...445...
Sun Aug 7 04:30:12 EDT 2005

Hi.

Thanks for the information, but from the limited information in the
changelog I cannot actually determine if this is really referring to the
same ddos attack as the one that I am referring to.

If I understand the issue I originally mentioned correctly, then the
attacker injects a forged packet into the stream that has a TCP timestamp
that lies somewhere into the future, causing all subsequent packets to be
dropped because they are deemed to be too old or invalid, effectively
'stalling'  the connection.

So if I understand correctly, then any relevant snort ruleset would have to
verify that at least all timestamps in a given tcp session are somewhat
'consecutive' ? Or if the timestamp value was set to a large value by the
attacker, then it will likely be larger than the timestamp values in any
subsequent incoming segments that belong to the same tcp session - does any
snort ruleset detect this ?

Thanks,

Sincerely,

John Smith.