[Snort-devel] Windows MySQL Issue

Jeff Dell jdell at ...2429...
Fri Aug 5 08:17:19 EDT 2005

I am on a newly built image of Windows fully patched using Snort 2.4.0 with
the standard install and using a MySQL 4.1.13a. When I install Snort I am
getting the following error:

ERROR: database: mysql_error: Client does not support authentication
protocol request by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
Fatal Error, Quitting..

This error is generated because snort is compiled with old MySQL libraries
that doesn't support the new MySQL 4.1 password encryption. To resolve this
issue, you have to enter the following:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR
    -> 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd');

Alternatively, use UPDATE and FLUSH PRIVILEGES:

mysql> UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd')
    -> WHERE Host = 'some_host' AND User = 'some_user';
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

For more information on this issues see here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html

Is there any reason why the old MySQL library is being used?

Cheers,
Jeff