[Snort-devel] RFE: improving generation of event_ref

Martin Roesch roesch at ...402...
Thu Oct 7 11:30:32 EDT 2004

I thought about having a packet serial that was something like

typedef struct _PktSerial
{
	u_int8_t  if_mac[6];
	time_t start_time;
          u_int32_t pkt_id;
} PktSerial;

This would let us have a unique collection interface identifier, start
time reference and an instance count for every packet and event.  I
proposed this a few months ago and as I recall Frank Knobbe thought
that tying the serial to the MAC was bad because interfaces can be
changed on devices and for one other reason that I'm not remembering
right now.  I contend that the MAC doesn't really matter except to give
us a unique hardware identifier that can be referenced to identify
Snort runs, but I'm not married to it or anything.  I think using the
IP address of the interface instead wouldn't be particularly useful
since IP addresses are much easier and more frequently changed as well
as the fact that stealthed interfaces don't have IP addresses.

The other problem with what I've described above is that using a
u_int32_t for pkt_id might be too small for some Snort runs, in theory
you can run thru 4 billion packets in about an hour on a gigabit
network (although that would be next to impossible in practice).  I'm a
little leery of using a u_int64_t since it doesn't fit in 32-bit
registers on x86 machines easily and would represent a minor
performance impact.  Maybe we could do another u_int32_t that indicates
the "series" of a packet (how many times we've wrapped the 32-bit
pkt_id number).

Just my thoughts on the topic.

      -Marty