[Snort-devel] custom libpcap being ignored?

Dirk Geschke Dirk at ...972...
Wed Jan 14 13:39:03 EST 2004

Hi Florian,

> I try to compile Snort on my Debian system. This system has an old version
> of libcap already installed. I manually compiled and installed the correct
> version, but Snort seems to ignore it and always chooses the old version.
>
> Configure options:
>
> ===
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/snort --enable-sourcefire --enable-perfmonit
> or --enable-linux-smp-stats --enable-flexresp --with-libpcap-includes=/usr/l
> ocal/libpcap/include --with-libpcap-libraries=/usr/local/libpcap/lib
> ===
>
> Configure output:
> ===
> checking for pcap_datalink in -lpcap... no
> ===

did you remove the old library? I guess the configure script is
still linking to the old dynamic library.

Is the new library in /usr/local/libpcap a static or dynamic
library? If it is a dynamic library you can add the library
path to /etc/ld.so.conf before(!) the system library and run
ldconfig.

If it is a static one you can try to use the "-static" option
to LDFLAGS like:

LDFLAGS="-static -L/usr/local/libpcap/lib" ./configure --with....

But the -static requires that all libraries are static and
sometimes you will run into other problems (libmysql.a has
some problems not automatically linking to libz.a and so on...)

Best regards

Dirk