[Snort-devel] SNORT has memory leak on Linux Red hat 9

Ian Macdonald ism at ...2371...
Fri Feb 27 06:26:15 EST 2004

The first thing that seems odd is that the memory doesn't free up after
killing the process. Normally all memory would be released on application
termination. When you say memory doesn't free what item are you looking
at?
One thing you might want to do is try killing other applications to see if
they are the ones that are stealing the memory. You may even want to
remove the loaded modules one by one incase the memory leak is in the
network driver module.
The only other thing of the top of my head is that machine is swapping so
much that it takes time for the OS to swap out the memory from disk to
allow it to be released?
Have you tried it on a different OS or Kernel?