[Snort-devel] SNORT has memory leak on Linux Red hat 9

Kumar, Manoj kumarm at ...2330...
Wed Feb 25 15:19:07 EST 2004

Ian,
Thanks for your reply
Yes,exactly this is what very odd is that even I kill the SNORT process,memory are not getting released. This is really strange. But,this is what exactly happening.
I have 4 GB of physical memory. I stopped all the process and waited for 3-4 hours.It remains at 345MB. As soon as I start the snort process,it starts climbing and other thing is that it climbes very fast. Within 2-3 hours, it eats up 95% of the memory. It goes upto 3.5 GB. When I kill it,I thought it will release the memory,but it's not.

Again,this is happening on Red hat 9 and also on application service 2.4.9 Linux.

Manoj

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Macdonald [mailto:ism at ...2371...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 6:06 PM
To: Kumar, Manoj
Cc: Jeremy Hewlett; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net;
snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net; snort-announce at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-devel] SNORT has memory leak on Linux Red hat 9

The first thing that seems odd is that the memory doesn't free up after
killing the process. Normally all memory would be released on application
termination. When you say memory doesn't free what item are you looking
at?
One thing you might want to do is try killing other applications to see if
they are the ones that are stealing the memory. You may even want to
remove the loaded modules one by one incase the memory leak is in the
network driver module.
The only other thing of the top of my head is that machine is swapping so
much that it takes time for the OS to swap out the memory from disk to
allow it to be released?
Have you tried it on a different OS or Kernel?