[Snort-devel] Snort 2.1.0

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...628...
Thu Feb 19 23:10:03 EST 2004

> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:04:35 -0500
> From: "Michael Karl" <mkarl at ...2350...>
> To: <snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>,
> 	<joshmia2001 at ...398...>
> Subject: [Snort-devel] Snort 2.1.0
>
> I tried to start up snort and the following error came up
>
> ERROR: /etc/snort/snort.conf(285) =3D> Invalid file name for IIS Unicode
> Map File
>
> Fatal error, Quiting
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

This should probably have gone to Snort-users.  Also, you gave us no
information about what platform (Linux, Windows) you are trying to run on, and
where you got Snort.  Help us help you!

Having said that, I'll put on my mindreading cap and guess that you are
running Linux and you grabbed an RPM from somewhere.  The RPM's on Snort.org
are badly out of date, and some may have this problem (I forget now).

Try getting a more recent RPM from www.starken.com/snort.  Or, copy the file
from the snort source tarball.  Or download the file from CVS [1].

If you are not using a broken RPM than it may be an old signature set
as someone else suggested.

Later,
JP

[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/snort/snort/etc/
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?