[Snort-devel] Re: 2.1.1 RC1 questions and issues

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...628...
Mon Feb 9 23:05:06 EST 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, JP Vossen wrote:

> Next, I may be doing something wrong or missing something, but it seems to me
> that blank lines are not allowed in included files.  That seems very
> counterintuitive and wrong.

<snip>

> Parsing Rules file ./snort.conf
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Initializing rule chains...
> ERROR: jp_variables.conf(18) => Unknown rule type:
> Fatal Error, Quitting..

--OR--

> ERROR: jp_variables.conf(6) => NULL rule type

Nevermind...  I had some CR/LF's in there somehow, but only on some lines.
When I removed blank lines it somehow actually worked, but an otherwise blank
line with CR/LF seems to screw it up.  Or something.

If you see add problems like this, run 'dos2unix' just to be safe.  That fixed
it for me.  Sigh.

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|         jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
You used to have to reboot the Windows 9.x series every couple of days
because it would crash.  Now you have to reboot Windows 200x or XP every
couple of days because of a patch.  How is that better or more stable?