[Snort-devel] Content across multiple packets Not detected by Snort

Dennis George easyeinfo at ...398...
Thu Apr 29 03:54:05 EDT 2004

Hello Marty,

Sorry I didn't able communicate with you guys for so long... actually I had to go for an urgent work out of station. I am extremly sorry for that....... So I didn't able to send you my proper pcap dump......

Last time the tcp dump I send is also working with me.... sorry for sending that... Actually I send the wrong one......

This tcp dump I am sending is the one which is causing the problem..... In this my keyword trinity at ...2502... is in splitted in two packets.....i.e.

pkt one ::: ....data... trinit
pkt two ::: y at ...2502... data ....

That's why snort is not detecting the alert....

Thanks and regards
Dennis George

Martin Roesch <roesch at ...402...> wrote:
This rule picks it up on my machine:

alert tcp any any -> any 3131 (content: "trinity at ...2502..."; msg:
"Trinity detected";)

Here's the command line I used:

snort -c trinity.rule -r ~/Desktop/packets.pcap -l ./log -A console -N
-k none

Try that and let me know how it works.

-Marty

On Apr 27, 2004, at 7:42 AM, Dennis George wrote:

> Oh I am extremly Sorry for that... But in this test case I am
> searching for trinity at ...2501...
>
> Sorry I didn't mention that......
>
> Dennis
>
> Paul Tinsley wrote:
> Now I may be missing something but looking at your pcap file, there is
> nothing in there to trigger the rule... Here is the ascii content
> between the hosts for the 3131 connection:
> Wow, over a year since the laslability, take
> a loi trinity at ...2502... Welcome
> .nort but are interested in a
> * Major tagging updally supported version with
>

> You are searching for Hello World, that pcap file shouldn't trigger an
> alert.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Tinsley

Sourcefire: Intelligent Security Monitoring