[Snort-devel] legit network-traffic generating tool?

siddharth thakkar sjthakkar at ...398...
Wed Apr 28 22:09:01 EDT 2004

Hi,

Just curious if anyone knows some tool or program
which I could use to create "realistic"
network-traffic including some http, ftp, long file
downloads, etc.?  Basically, I need something that can
simulate real web-activity.

I have coded a worm-detecting preprocessor plugin for
Snort, but I want such a traffic-generating tool to
test how well my Snort plugin detects the kind of
worms its made for...and may be eliminate
false-positives.

Let me know if anyone knows such a program out there
which can help stress test my network with such
legitimate traffic (in addition to my worm code which
I'll be running).

I'm looking through sourceforge, but haven't noticed
anything relevant. (except may be
"traffic"/trafserver/trafclient??)

Thanks in advance,  (hope I explained it well, let me
know if I haven't :) )

~Siddharth Thakkar
Univ. of Southern California.

=====
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less
than half of you half as well as you deserve.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring