[Snort-devel] Re: SIGHUP doesn't work

Erek Adams erek at ...835...
Tue Sep 23 04:01:08 EDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Steve G wrote:

> Then I'd say the code that handles sighup could be deleted (and
> the man page updated, too). If you look at the reload option of
> the init script, it does a stop and then a start. It doesn't do a
> killproc -HUP. So...why have a feature that doesn't work?

-HUP works and works just fine.  The problem comes in with having Snort
run as a non-root user and/or in a chroot setup.  I know, that's not much
of a difference, but it is a fairly big one.  It's been around for a long
time...  So long it's even in the FAQ (6.19).  It's amazing what we hide
in there isn't it?  ;-)

Need to HUP it?  Don't use -u -g or -t.

-----
Erek Adams