[Snort-devel] ANNOUNCE: flexresp2 (new and improved active response for Snort)

Jeff Nathan jeff at ...835...
Wed Sep 3 00:11:15 EDT 2003

At long last I am proud to release flexresp2, the improved version of
active response for Snort.

 From the readme file:
***********************
To compensate for the fact that Snort cannot possibly send a TCP reset
to the server (or receiving host) before the offending packet reaches
the destination, Snort will transmit a minimum of 3 TCP reset packets
with shifting TCP ack numbers in an attempt to brute-force the
connection into an unusable state.

Flexresp2 will automatically calculate the original TTL when sending a
response packet.

Flexresp2 will not respond to TCP packets with the SYN, FIN or RST flag
set.

Link-layer active response (crafting complete Ethernet frames) can be
used
to completely bypass the routing table and force response packets to be
sent
out a specified interface.

TCP reset packets sent by flexresp2 are no longer sent to the sender,
only the target system.
***********************

All the files comprising flexresp2 (sp_respond2) are available here:
http://cerberus.sourcefire.com/~jeff/archives/snort/sp_respond2/

A readme is available here:
http://cerberus.sourcefire.com/~jeff/archives/snort/sp_respond2/
sp_respond2.readme

Please read this readme document carefully.  It has been written to
help anyone interested in using flexresp2 and details the new features
available in this release.

All the files have been MD5 checksummed, a checksum file is available
here:
http://cerberus.sourcefire.com/~jeff/archives/snort/sp_respond2/MD5

A detached PGP signature has been created for all the files.  To verify
the signatures using GPG, import my public key from the MIT keyserver
using the command:

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 6923D3FD

Once you have obtained my PGP public key, you can verify the integrity
of the flexresp2 files using commands resembling the following:

gpg --verify sp_respond2.diff.gz.asc sp_respond2.diff.gz

Please reference the BUGS file contained with the Snort distribution
before reporting any bugs in this software.

Special thanks to Dragos Ruiu, Jed Haile, Jose Nazario, Mike Davis and
Chris Reid for all their suggestions and review.

Enjoy!

- -Jeff

- --
Top security experts.  Cutting edge tools, techniques and information.
Tokyo, Japan   November, 2003   http://www.pacsec.jp