[Snort-users] Re: [Snort-devel] IDS vs IPS

Bob Walder bwalder at ...1455...
Tue Sep 2 05:43:48 EDT 2003

Frank,

At last.... A voice of sanity and reason

However, I will take issue with one part of your reply - why do we have
to abandon the term at all? It has been grabbed - for better or worse -
by a particular group of vendors to refer to a particular group of
products. And I don't think the term is that wide of the mark. If you
are going to get all precious about it, why not decide that IDS is not a
good term, is marketing fluff, because it should really be
ICDSIBMNAOTASOTOIDDMBFP (I Can Detect Some Intrusions But Not All Of
Them And Some Of The Ones I Do Detect Might Be False Positives)... Not
as catchy though, is it?

We are getting into the realms of The European Community and its
ridiculous assertions that bananas should be straight and The Brits are
no longer allowed to call their ice cream "ice cream" 'cos there is
actually no cream in it - instead it should be known as Non Fat Dairy
Substitute or some other similar ridiculous term.

So, now we have IDS (or NIDS), and HIDS, and IPS (or NIPS) and HIPS...
And we have firewalls, of course... And routers... And ACLs... And
everyone knows what all these things do (and all of them could be said
to have elements of "intrusion detection" and "intrusion prevention" in
them if we look hard enough). So get over it.

When we finally DO get our wonderful converged product which everyone is
waiting for and which is the best of the firewall/IDS/IPS world with
built in anti virus checker, content scanner and coffer maker, then you
can call it the All Singing All Dancing Gateway Security Appliance - or
the Firewall Intrusion Detection and Prevention Appliance - or whatever
other marketing term you like.

And then we can all argue about that one for weeks on end because
someone decides it can't be all singing and all dancing unless it has a
CD player in it and comes with a free pair of tap shoes.

Regards,

Bob