[Snort-devel] Whee, Coredump

Roy S. Rapoport snort-devel at ...2006...
Sat May 31 03:29:05 EDT 2003

Been working on getting SnortCenter to play nice with Snort 2.0.  At
this point, SnortCenter has managed to create a config file for snort
that causes it to segfault and dump core.  I'm guessing this is
unexpectedly bad.

The config file is about 500K, so I figured it'd be impolite to mail it.
It's available at http://www.inorganic.org/~rsr/bad_snort_config.txt

gdb reports this backtrace:
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0xff132fb0 in strlen () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#1  0xff184f08 in _doprnt () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#2  0xff186eec in vsnprintf () from /usr/lib/libc.so.1
#3  0x0002d610 in FatalError ()
#4  0x00046300 in ByteJumpParse ()
#5  0x00046588 in ByteJumpInit ()
#6  0x00023bfc in ParseRuleOptions ()
#7  0x00022944 in ParseRule ()
#8  0x000220b4 in ParseRulesFile ()
#9  0x000290b4 in SnortMain ()

I compiled Snort with GCC 3.2.2, with -O4 and MySQL support off of the
src available from Sourceforge as of, oh, about 10 minutes ago (well,
the problem occured with an older rev of the source, but I wanted to
make sure the problem had not been fixed by the latest version).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-roy